St Edward's follows the Church of England Safeguarding Policy, set out @ “A Safe Church” (http://southwark.anglican.org/safeguarding/diocesan-policies-and-procedures) and Charity Commission guidance; St Edwards is committed to: promoting a safer environment and culture, promoting equal and non-discriminatory treatment in all aspects of the organisations’ work, safely recruiting and supporting all those with responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church, responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation, caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons, caring pastorally for all members, staff and volunteers as well as project beneficiaries, caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons and responding to those who may pose a present risk to others.
The understanding of abuse that is adopted in this policy follows statutory definitions set out in the Children Act 1989 and subsequent legislation, as outlined in National Church Safeguarding instruments and Section 9, page 9.3+ of the Southwark Diocese A Safer Church Policy (ASC); abuse includes:
- Physical, emotional and sexual abuse
- Financial abuse
- Spiritual abuse
- Domestic violence, abuse and controlling behaviour
- Abuse of power in all forms including bullying
Further details about the signs of abuse can be found within section 9 of the ASC Policy, a copy of which is found in the Parish and StEP Office and included in the training of all church and StEP staff, volunteers and trustees.
The following are appointed as safeguarding officers locally:
- Atim Robinson (aka Oji) as the Parish Safeguarding Officer - Messages can be left for Atim Oji, on 07422 653952.
- Sue Turner as the StEP Safeguarding Officer - 0208 851 3668 - [email protected]
- Ruth Slater as the DBS checker - 0208 851 3668 - [email protected]
- Vicar: Rev Dr Catherine Shelley - 07711 611201 - [email protected]
- Churchwarden: Errol Furlong - please leave a message on 07422 653952
The following are the Diocesan Safeguarding Team: To Contact the Diocesan Team please call:
0207 939 9423 (Office Hours) or 0203 874 6743 (Out of Hours)
The work of the Diocesan Safeguarding Team includes:
- responding to and supporting parishes where there are concerns about situations regarding children or adults who may be vulnerable, or when allegations of abuse have been made
- taking a lead role when allegations are made or safeguarding concerns expressed about church officers
- advising parishes on safeguarding policy and practice.
Pamela Chisholm, Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Louise Vernon, Assistant Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Zoe Skilton, Safeguarding Training Administrator
The Local Authority numbers are: Bromley LADO - Tel: 020 8461 7669
- Children’s services(Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm): 020 8461 7373/7379 /7026
- Out of hours/weekends/public holidays: 0300 303 8671
- Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH):[email protected]
- Concerned about a child's immediate safety, call 999 and ask for the police and if there is injury, for an ambulance.
- NSPCC – 0800 1111 (for U18s) or 0808 800 5000 (adult reports concerns)