ST. EDWARDS MOTTINGHAM

HISTORY

===========================================

 
Documentary evidence on Mottingham dates back to Saxon times,
being first mentioned in a Charter of King Ethelbert dated AD 862
and it seems that the area of Mottingham had connections with
St. Edward the Confessor extending back well over 900 years.


===========================================

For another 800 years Mottingham was an agricultural community.
The first parish church of St.Andrews was built in 1880
and adequately served Mottingham Village until
extensive development of the area during the 1930s as part of the
LCC rehousing schemes for London.
During this time it was agreed that
a new parish would be formed,
supported by the rector of St. Andrews.


===========================================

The area was initially made a 'Conventional District'
which meant it was
ecclesiastically independent
but remained legally part of St. Andrews.
The hall, Vicarage and Church were to be built in memory of
 
Bishop Edward Stuart Talbot,the first Bishop of Southwark in 1905
and the parish was to be known as the Bishop Talbot Memorial Parish
.

The church hall was opened and dedicated on 14th July 1937
by the Bishop of Southwark and t
he following year the vicarage was built
and blessed for use on 12th April 1938.


===========================================


D
ue to lack of funds, the decision to drop the title of
Bishop Talbot Memorial Church was dropped
along with the plans for the elaborate design in favour of the simpler
neo-gothic design we see today.
At the same time the decision was also made to call the parish
St. Edward the Confessor.


===========================================


On 29th June 1957 the corner-stone of the church was laid
by  Rev'd K G Hoare, the first priest of the parish and
dedicated by the Bishop of Woolwich.
The parish became legal in its own right, separate from St. Andrews
and the Consecration of the church of St. Edward the Confessor
was on Saturday 19th July 1958

and the service was led by the Rt. Rev. Bertram Simpson,
the Bishop of Southwark.

The vicar at the time was the Rev'd A J Buckley. 


============================================


The present church is flanked by the church hall and vicarage.
It comprises a nave, chancel, south east chapel, clergy vestry, narthexe
which is extended northward to provide a choir vestry and link into the hall.
There is an imposing square tower sited centrally at the west end.
The chancel is of one and a half bays,
the main bay accommodating the choir and the half bay the sanctuary.

The nave is of five bays.

There are narrow single storey side aisles with flat roofs over.


=============================================

         Clergy
 1936 -1943            Rev K G Hoare
 1943 -1948            Rev E B Hutchinson  
 1948 -1956            Rev E F Smith
 1956 -1973            Rev A J Buckley
 1976 -1980            Rev E Allison
 1980 -1983            Rev M J Kingston
 1983 -1992            Rev. B Campen
 1992 -1997            Rev N Carver
 1998 -                    Rev M J Jackson     

=============================================






Powered by Create Ecommerce